Thursday, September 16, 2010

Why I'm Excited About 30

So I was wholly planning on answering a question today, but I'm going to save it for next week. Instead, I'll tell you all why I can't stop smiling. Why our God, The LORD, Yahweh, is so awe inspiring. I am encouraged to see how God is moving and working through Crash. I am so thankful not only to be witnessing it, but to be a part of it.

Last night we had 30 students show up. Let me repeat that in case you missed it, 30 students came to Crash last night! There was SO MUCH excitement and energy, it emanated and oozed out of the Loft. This is a huge encouragement to me. Whats more of an encouragement is that I know a few students who weren't able to come last night, which means we'll have even more next week. I feel blessed to see the Crash community growing not only closer together, but growing in numbers.

Now I'm not one to focus solely on numbers. If you do that you miss the point, you miss the relationships. The students become a number in stead of a student... with a face... and a name. 30 is by far the most we've ever had at a single Crash night. But I was, and am, able to say all their names, and point them out of a crowd, even the first-time friends. I'm able to tell you a little about each one. To me they aren't just numbers, but students.

I named our ministry Crash for a couple reasons, first it implies community (because a community of rhino's is called a crash), second it implies a safe comfortable place. Crash's purpose is to provide Unity, Security and Identity. Unity to connect them with other peers, godly adult leaders and with God. Security to create a safe place where they won't get hurt physically or emotionally. Security to have a place where students can be themselves and share their struggles and victories without fear of feeling rejected. Identity to show them their new identities in Christ and to show them that they are loved and accepted for who they are.

Here is what 30 students tells me, beyond the number. It tells me that junior high students are excited to come to church. It tells me that Crash is becoming a community that people want to be a part of. It tells me that junior high students love Crash so much, they want to share it with their friends. Lastly, it tells me that Crash is more and more becoming the place I desire it to be, a place for junior high students where they can find unity, security and identity.

Please pray that this continues to happen, that students are encouraged and excited to come to Crash, to share it with their friends. Please pray that Crash continues to be a place where students can find Unity, Security and Identity. Please pray that we find more godly adult leaders, who love God and love students, who can connect with them, guide them, and point them to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment