Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Big Cover-Up Conspiracy

Tell me if you've ever done this? You do something you know is wrong, you sin, you mess up & make a huge mistake. But rather than admitting you messed up, you try to hide it, you try to cover it up. But soon something happens and you need to cover up more & more.

I know I've done that. When I was a kid, I'd like to say that I was a good kid. I knew right and I knew wrong. But just because I knew the difference, doesn't mean I didn't do wrong. I did in fact sin, a lot. But I was always paranoid of getting caught, so I would try to make sure I would never be caught, my sin would never be found out. I wouldn't just check over my shoulder once, but three or four times. I'd make sure I knew where my parents were, I'd make sure no one could just walk in, I'd make sure I had a good lie to explain where I was and what I was doing. I would try to think through every possible scenario and make sure I would never be caught. There were times when I was caught and my mistake was brought to the light. And other times when I got away with it.

But did I really get away with it? God is omniscience (meaning He knows everything) and omnipresence (meaning He is everywhere). Even if no one else is watching, God is. Nothing is hidden from God. Every deep dark secret, every mistake you make, everything you think you've covered up, God knows. I'm not saying this to scare you, just make you aware of a truth.

Here's another truth- every secret will eventually be made known. 1 Corinthians 4:5, "Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the LORD comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels (motives) of the hearts. Then each one's praise will come from God. (NKJ)" Also, Luke 12:2-3, "...For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed nor hidden that will not be known. Therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in the inner room will be proclaimed on the housetops. (NKJ)" Again, I'm not telling you this to scare you, George Orwell's 1984, "Big Brother" style. But I tell you this to encourage you. Never try to cover up your mistakes. Never think that you can hide your deepest darkest secret forever.

Tomorrow night, at Crash, we're going to read about a time when King David tried to cover up his mistake. Yes, you heard me, King David, "a man after God's own heart," not only messed up, but tried to cover it up and keep it secret. We'll read about his mistake and how it got brought to light in 2 Samuel 11-12. I hope to see you all at Crash tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment