Tuesday, July 19, 2011

(Don't) Stick It To The Man

Have you ever noticed how much humanity loves to rebel? Everyone seems to love "sticking it to the Man." And I'm not just talking about wanting our own way and rebelling against God. Rebellion seems to be a part of who we are. Every where you turn there seems to be some sort of rebellion, some sort of fight against the ruling power. In the movie Star Wars, the Rebel Alliance fights against the Empire. In the Civil War the Confederacy fought the Union. In business, the unions fight against the companies. Criminals rebel against the government. Even a couple Christian, God fearing brothers are inciting the youth to join up in a "Rebolution" (a combination of rebellion and revolution) to fight against low expectations (in the book Do Hard Things). People rebel when they wish to live their lives opposite from the ruling authority or social majority. People fight because they think they know better.

Everyone sees rebellion within a family- a kid rebelling against his parents. We see this all the time. A child who rebels against his or her parent. Children rebel because they think they know better and what to live their lives different from how their parents want them to live their lives. Sometimes the rebellion is minor, a kid wants to die his hair blue or get their tongue pierced. But other times the rebellion is major, a kid runs away, or always do the opposite of what their parents want.

Even though I was a good kid, I still rebelled against my own parents. It didn't really heat up till I was in college. My big rebellious act was to stay up and out really late. My parents didn't like that I was staying out so late. In their minds, they were being fair & reasonable. They were worried that staying out so late would get me pulled over by the cops, or into an accident with a drunk driver. But my view was that I was an adult, over 18 and could, "live my life how I wanted." My curfew was something that my parents and I fought over many many times. Eventually we were able to talk civilly about it and come to an agreement. But not before a lot of fighting, pain and frustration.

Is rebelling against our parents really the right thing to do? Even if we have a good reason? Ephesians 6:1-3 says, "Children, obey your parents in the LORD, for this is right. 'Honor your father and mother' - which is the first commandment with a promise - 'that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy a long life on earth.'" Why do you think God says that we'll be well and enjoy a long life on the earth if we honor and respect our parents (as opposed to rebelling against them)? We'll be talking about this and more tomorrow night at Crash. So I hope to see you all there.

No comments:

Post a Comment