Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Friend Or Foe?

Sometimes our parents can be our friends. They'll drive us around, make us after school snacks, let our friends come sleep over and even let us go to the mall by ourselves. Yes, our parents can in fact be cool. When they're nice, it seems like the perfect relationship, where all they care about is your happiness. I know for me, there were times when my parents were awesome. Like when I was in high school and they let me stay out till 10:30 or 11 watching a movie at my friends house. In fact, I really didn't have a curfew per say. It was just as long as I was home at a decent hour and they knew were I was.

Although they can be nice, other times it seems like our parents are just a big enemy that we're always battling. Like they won't let us go to youth group until after our homework's done. Or they make us do 50 chores like Cinderella before they let us hang out with our friends. Or during our favorite TV show they tell us that if we don't take out the trash that we'll be grounded. Or maybe they won't take us to the mall because they don't feel like it. Or maybe they cause us so much pain because in their selfishness they don't keep promises, or they're always drunk or verbally abusive. At times you feel like their goal in life is to make you miserable. Like when I was in junior high I liked to hang out in my room, talk to my friends on the phone or play video games. But I would always get in trouble because they didn't want me to hang out in my room they wanted me to hang out and talk with them, even if there was nothing they wanted me to talk about. Or they would make me weed the entire garden before I could invite friends over. They knew I hated to weed, but they made me do it anyway.

It's said that, "people who love us the most can also hurt us the most." This is so true. Those who love us most, know us most and know how to push our buttons. So, what do we do when our parents are acting like a foe. What can we do when they're causing us pain and frustration? Join us tomorrow night as we wrap up our series on Teens Vs. Parents and look at how and why our parents can be friends AND enemies and what we can do when we think they're being an enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment