Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The "I" In Pride

How many of you have ever heard the Proverb, "Pride comes before the fall." What do you think it means? I think that any time anyone's fallen, they have always had a lot of pride, specifically pride in themselves.

Pride is an excessively high opinion of oneself. It's pleasure or satisfaction taken in achievement, possession or association. See the idea of pride, is, in a sense, confidence in one's own self. Pride can blind people to the truth. When someone is prideful they don't like to ask for help because they think they can do it on their own (When I was younger this was one of my biggest problems, I didn't like to ask for help).

When I say pride, I don't mean being proud of your accomplishments, or how your parents are proud of you. I am proud that I graduated high school & college. I am proud that I am an Eagle Scout, and I am proud that I belong to Christ. When, "Pride comes before the fall," or "Pride can blind people," what I mean is arrogance. Arrogance is, "an offensive display of superiority or self-importance." It's overbearing pride. Arrogance is what comes before the fall. Arrogance is what blinds people to truth and reality. Arrogance is what destroys unity.

Join us tomorrow night as we continue our study in the book of Philippians: Putting The Unity Back In Community, and look at the idea of pride and arrogance, how pride can lead to arrogance, which disrupts unity. We will also discover that we should not have pride and confidence in ourselves but in Christ' work.

No comments:

Post a Comment