Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Favorite Book(s) Of The Bible

My favorite book of the Bible is 1st & 2nd Samuel... OK, Ok, that's really two books, but it was compiled as one book, and later split into two. It is a great book, full of true stories about the Israelites, kings, what faith can do, and yes, a man named Samuel, who appointed Israel's first 2 kings. How many of you have ever heard of the story of David & Goliath? That's 1 Samuel 17. What about a king dancing around praising God in his underwear saying, "I will become more undignified than this!"? That's in 2 Samuel 6.

I remember my own youth group going through this book, and I loved it. It paints such a great picture of not only life then, but life now. People get made fun of, others get betrayed, and still others make life-long friendships. Strong emotions such as jealousy, fear, joy and courage come to life. I am so excited to begin going through the books of 1st & 2nd Samuel with all of you.

So, join us this Wednesday night as begin to open it up, and read through all of these stories, drawing out Godly truth that we can still learn today. Tomorrow night we'll look specifically at chapters 1 & 2, at the story of Hannah. We'll see why she felt like a failure and what she did about it. We'll see how we can pray openly and honestly to God, and be encouraged that He'll answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment