Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Loving Our Enemies

When I was in high school, I was in a small group at church. It was 8, mixed grade, high school boys and one awesome leader. Most of the guys in my group were cool. They were my friends. But, there was one guy I just did not get along with. He wasn't my enemy really, and we didn't fight, but I just didn't like him. In fact I think I considered it hate at the time. He was rude, arrogant, mean, manipulative and really unsympathetic. Anytime he showed up, I would get frustrated with what he said and did.

Then during a lesson, the speaker talked about loving others, especially those we don't like. He encouraged us to forget about what we think of them, forget what they've done and focus on the good things, focus on the fact that God has called us to love them. Jesus said, "...love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you...If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them... (Luke 6:27 & 32 NIV)." Something in my mind clicked. I still didn't like the things he did & said, but I loved him like a brother in Christ. I saw him in a whole new light, with all new eyes, God's eyes.

Before I finish this blog post, I want to answer a question I was asked from a student that, in a way, ties in with the lesson tomorrow night. The question is this, "How do you love someone when they are threatening your life?" It's a great question. In 1 Samuel we saw that David loved Saul even though Saul was trying to kill him. He spared his life, not once, but twice. When David got tired of running, he left the country. Last week we finished up 1 Samuel, looking at Saul's death. Tomorrow night we'll begin 2 Samuel and read about David's reaction when he hears about Saul's death. Does he dance on his grave? Does he say, "Nanny, nanny boo, boo, I'm better than you!" Does he say, "HA! I told you so!" Or does he see Saul through God's eyes, in a new light, lovingly remembering him, despite the fact that Saul hated and hunted him? You'll have to come tomorrow night to Crash to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment