Thursday, March 3, 2011

No TV Make Cameron Something, Something...

Last night at Crash we talked about having self control, and the discipline to think through and pray about opportunities & choices we're faced with, so that we can make the best, god pleasing choice. Some of you may feel like you have self control & discipline down. That's awesome! But I want to challenge you to go deeper. There are certain things called, 'Spiritual Disciplines' that you can do to strengthen your faith. These are things that you can do by yourself or with others, to focus on & get closer to God. Some of you may already practice a spiritual discipline and not even know it. Spiritual Disciplines include: studying & memorizing the Bible, prayer, worship, evangelism, serving, silence & solitude, journaling, and fasting. Fasting is giving up or not doing something you love for a period of time. People typically think fasting has to only do with food. But really you can fast from anything. During Lent (the time between Ash Wednesday & Easter) many people fast from different things they love: coffee, music, chocolate, fast food, Internet etc. I tell you about fasting, because, I just finished fasting from something I love. Let me explain.

I love to watch TV shows & movies. I wouldn't call myself a couch potato, but I'd say that I watch more TV than the average person. TV is a hobby for me. I love stories, reading them, watching them and listening to them. TV is full of interesting people with interesting stories. During the month of February, I displayed self control & discipline by fasting from sitting at home watching TV. From the 1st through the 28Th (4 weeks), I never sat at home and watched the TV. I didn't watch the shows recorded on my DVR, any of my DVD's or even play any video games while I was home. I did allow myself to go out to the movies a few times, play video games at a friend's house for his birthday party, and watch the Super Bowl at a friend's house, but that was it. I did it and I didn't even go crazy! In fact, I enjoyed it!

I do have to say, it was very difficult. Within the first week one of my favorite shows had an awesome episode that I had seen a commercial for in January. Constantly I would think of lines & scenes from shows or movies that I loved and wanted to watch. Also, I typically watch TV shows while eating dinner, but not last month. Every dinner during the month of February I ate at my kitchen table. It was weird to sit & eat dinner alone, not doing anything else but eating. I felt bored. It took a while to get used to but eventually my mind slowed down & stopped trying to multitask. I just enjoyed all the extra free time I had. Sometimes I read, other times I talked with friends on facebook, or on the phone. Other times I prayed, or studied Bible verses to memorize. The bottom line is that I practiced a spiritual discipline. I fasted from something I loved. What can you have self control and fast from? What is one spiritual discipline you want to practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment