Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Get Out Of My Face

Nobody ever really likes hearing bad things about themselves. No one wants to be criticized. Even if the critic means well, criticism always seems to feel like you're being attacked. But criticism, in itself, isn't bad. In fact it's good, it helps us be better people. But, it's all about how you respond to criticism. Everyone responds to criticism in one of three ways. Either they 1) get defensive, or 2) get depressed or 3) take negative criticism and turn it into positive wisdom by actually changing. People who most frequently respond the 3rd way are called teachable people

I'd like to think I'm teachable. When someone, especially someone I look up to & respect, criticizes me in a loving way, I take it to heart. I try to change for the better. However, growing up, there was one person who, for some reason, I couldn't stand to hear criticism from... my mom. Which is funny because of everyone I know, she's the one who loves me the most & wants the best for me (except for maybe God). I don't know why, but all of her criticisms seemed to push all my buttons and I would get defensive & fight with her. I would not respond with careful consideration and teach-ability like I should have.

Mom, I want to say I'm sorry. I know you care about me & love me & want the best for me. There were times when I didn't give you the respect you deserve. Please forgive me for getting defensive when you were trying to help me.

She wouldn't ever get in my face, but I would always get defensive. Criticism is bad enough, but when you add someone cursing you & getting in your face, it makes it nearly impossible to respond in a teachable way. It's so hard to ignore them and respond with careful consideration. But you must. You must not get defensive, but respond to criticism with careful consideration. You must walk away & ignore someone who gets in your face. This is how you can be teachable. This is how you can respond in love. This is how God wants you to respond to criticism. All junior high students are welcome to join us at Crash tonight as we read 2 Samuel 16, and look at a time when someone got in King David's face to not just criticize but curse him. I hope to see you all there.

No comments:

Post a Comment