Thursday, May 5, 2011

Will This Be On The Test?

Is it hard to get all "A"s in school? This is the question I'm going to answer today, but before I answer it, let's answer a different question, what do grades mean anyway? Grades are meant to reflect the knowledge you've gained and the ability to demonstrate that knowledge in a particular class.

Now, to answer the question, is it hard to get all A's in school? In my opinion, yes. It's hard to get all A's in school because it takes hard work, focus, determination, and discipline. Teacher's don't just give out A's they must be earned. The more you learn and the better you are able to demonstrate what you have learned then the better grade you will get. For most teachers A=100%-90%, B=89%-80%, C=79%-70%, D=69%-60%, F=59%-0%.

Again, grades reflect the knowledge you have learned in the class and the ability to demonstrate what you have learned. For instance, think about a multiple choice test. Let's say there are 100 questions and each question is worth 1 point. The questions reflect the knowledge you have learned (or were supposed to have learned) up to that point. If you are able to answer 80 questions correctly, but you get 20 wrong, then you have been able to show that you know 80% of what you were supposed to know and you'll get a B. But let's say you study before the test and Projects and papers are similar. If you are able to have the project or paper demonstrate that you know 80% of what you were supposed to learn then you're going to get a "B". Now, it stands to reason that, the more effort you put into learning what the teacher is teaching, the more you will know and the better you'll be able to demonstrate that knowledge. For example, if you make an effort to study before a test, you might better understand & recall what you do know, as well as learn more. Now are able to get 90 questions right on that test. Now you were able to show that you knew 90% of what you were supposed to know and now you have an A. So, if grades are all about what you know and how well you're able to demonstrate that knowledge, then the more effort you put in, the more you try to learn, and the more effort you put into demonstrating that knowledge, then the better grades you will get.

I want to end by answering I question some of you may be thinking, did I get good grades? Well, I never got straight A's. I did try, but for some reason I wasn't able to learn fully what I needed, or demonstrate fully what I learned. I typically got B's. When I was able to focus and put effort into it, I would get an A. But for some reason I was never able to do that for all my classes at the same time. But I still tried. I want to encourage all of you reading this blog, try to focus, try to pay attention, try your best. All teachers can ask of you is that you try your best to learn and put the most effort into demonstrating your knowledge. If you do this, I mean really, truly do this, then I guarantee you will see your grades improve, because you will be learning more and be better able to demonstrate what you learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment