Monday, January 4, 2010

Church, Why Bother?!


Like some of you reading this, I grew up in the church- which is to say that I was going to church every Sunday since I was born. I loved church, and hated to miss a Sunday. I even went when my parents couldn't go! With all that I was doing (2 different youth groups, AWANA's, and Boy Scouts) I seemed to be at church everyday.

A lot people have reserved Sunday morning as church time, especially back in the 1950's. Everyone knew where everyone was going on Sunday morning, there was no question about it. Today we are told that we should give up part of our weekend, every weekend to sit in an uncomfortable chair, and listen to someone talk.

But all this raises an interesting question- why? Why does God want us to go to church? Why is it so important? What does church mean anyway? What was God's idea of what church should be? What has church been like in the past? How and why did church start? Why should we even bother to come to church?

All Junior High students are invited to join us all month as we ask the question, "Church, why bother?" and discover just what church is. This week we will be looking at the idea of church, what it is and what it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment